Monday, October 15, 2007

Google Me

I'm so sorry this blog is late. I've been trying to keep all my balls in the air, and lately that has been increasingly hard to do with all these job interviews. But ironically, this ties into this weeks topic, which touches on reputation -- both my own and the firms that I've been interviewing with.

Brushing up your resume, dressing the part, and trying to sell yourself at all these job fairs are all part of creating your personal brand. It's about translating your reputation in the class room, in your previous jobs, and in your activities. All of these you have relative control over. What's scary about your online reputation is that there seems to be less control, despite how limited your Facebook profile is. Pictures your friends post from that "wild" party can turn up. My friend interned at a law firm where part of her job was to search AU applicants on Facebook. I'm definitely trying to be more aware of what information I put on the Web. And, what information is put up about me.

Also, I can definitely tell that firms "Google" me, because they always ask about these two things - "The Office of Business Communications," and my scholarship through the "Former Agents of the FBI Foundation." The Former Agents of the FBI always draws intrigue - "Wait, you were in the FBI?" "No, my grandfather was...."

Anyway, on the other side. It's been difficult to find out the employer's reputation. Yea, they all have websites, but they all basically say the same thing. I've found it extremely odd how in interviews some will bash the reputation of other firms.

So, I would say that now - more than ever - its difficult to manage your reputation. At least on your own. And I guess this is where companies like ReputationDefender.com come in.

1 comment:

Alexandra said...

I find it scary that employers have access to our personal lives and the decision of being hired could be based on what we do in our free time. The only thing we can do is be careful of what is posted of ourselves online and try to keep a good online image.